I think every chinese household has a different version of chow mein. This kyliekwong 's version (as seen on Tv Paprika) uses ginger, which I've never included in my version before this. Also, her soy base sauce was much more straight forward to prepare than mine. Anyway, here's how I tweaked her recipe based on what is available in my kitchen .
Chow Mein 炒麵
Serves : 1
One serving of spaghetti pasta (kw's recipe uses flat rice noodles)
few slices of ginger
2 cloves of garlic
half of red onion
cabbage (kw's uses chinese cabbage)
white pepper to taste
thick soya sauce
light soya sauce
oil for stir-frying
* sesame seeds omitted (totally forgotten about it!)
* bean sprout was omitted (not available in my kitchen)
* You may also add any kind of meat / seafood of your choice.
1) Cook spaghatti pasta according to your brand's instruction.
2) In the mean time, prepare sliced ginger, chopped onion , garlic, spring onions.
3) Heat oil in a wok, sauté ginger, onion and garlic until fragrant. Next in the same wok, put the dark soya sauce (enough to cover the pasta) , simmer it for a bit. Then toss-in the cooked pasta and stir-fry until soya sauce colour pasta fully. Next , toss-in cabbage, spring onion and neam sprout and continue to stir-fry for a bit. Add light soya sauce and white pepper to taste. Stir-fry for a about 3 minutes and it's ready.
4) Serve with toasted sesame seeds.