Although not exactly healthy, I do like to serve this gravy occasionally when I make my oven-baked chicken
KFC style gravy
3 tablespoons butter (only used 1 knob butter and vegetable oil)
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour (only used 2.5 Tbsp)
1 piece chicken cube or 2 teaspoons chicken powder (omitted)
1 piece beef cube or 2 teaspoons beef powder (half a cube of beef stock cube)
2 1/4 cups water (only used 1 cup)
++ ground black pepper
- Dilute the beef stock cube in water.
- Melt butter in sauce pan and add a little vegetable oil on low heat.
- Add all-purpose flour and cook in low heat while continuously stirring for 7 to 8 minutes or until the color turns medium brown. There is a tendency that the flour might burn when overcooked or if high heat is applied. Be extra cautious.
- Gradually add the beef stock (1) while stirring. Continuous stirring is needed to prevent lumps from forming.
- Put the heat to medium and bring the mixture to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes more while stirring once in a while until the texture thickens.
- Serve hot with fried chicken or mashed potato.