Kalács is usually braided ; but I have simply rolled it to form a huge piece of sticky bun.
Hungarian sweet roll (Kalács)
3-1/2 Cups Flour
1 Package Active dry yeast ( I used 7g packet)
1-1/4 Cups Milk
1/4 Cup Butter
1/4 Cup Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
- Combine 2 cups flour and the yeast in a large mixing bowl.
- Heat milk, butter, sugar, salt in a pan until the butter is melted (about 115°F).
- Add the milk mixture to the flour and yeast. Mix well, add the egg and beat well.
- Add remainder of flour. Knead, if you wish, or don't knead, just make sure that everything is well mixed.
- Transfer to a greased bowl. Cover and put in warm place to rise for 1 hour to 1-1/2 hrs. The size of the dough should about double.
- While the dough is rising, prepare filling (if you make it from scratch, see recipe below, but if you have the sweetened chestnut puree already, then it's easy)
- After dough has risen, put it out onto a floured bread board and allow it to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into two halves.
- Pat out or roll out each half with a rolling pin to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Spread half the filling on the dough and roll the dough up like a jelly roll. Tuck the ends over to close the loaf. Repeat with the second half of the dough and the rest of the filling.
- Place each loaf in a greased loaf pan and let rise about 30 minutes. Bake at 350°F for about 30 minutes until lightly browned.