Barley is usually prepared as sweet drink back home, never have I seen it being used in savoury dishes until I came here. I have to say that it took me some time to get used the savoury barley. Then last winter, I came accross this recipe and I am loving the savoury option more and more :)
I've just eliminated potatoes from the original recipe but added zuchinni and roasted pepper (not added yet in the photo). Simple ingredients but full of flavours !
Barley & Sausage
- 1/2 cup barley, cooked as per package instructions
- 200 grams country sausage, sliced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 big white onion, sliced into half moons
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- a pinch dried thyme
- a pinch fennel seeds
- olive oil
- sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Add onions and potatos and sautee for a couple of minutes. Add garlic, dried thyme, and fennel seeds. Toss. Add sausage and sautee until potatoes are soft, onions are slightly golden, and sausage is nice and seared in places.
- Add cooked barley and toss so everything is evenly mixed. Season to taste with salt and pepper and sautee a bit more just to mingle flavors. Take of heat and serve.
- Serves 2.